Monday, July 28, 2014

Simple answer to "Why do we need organized religion?"

July 21, 2014

Now, you may mistakenly think that I have not given you a single photo for this week. Let me explain how that is not true. If you follow these simple instructions, you will see that this week's blog has not only one or two, but one or two THOUSAND pictures attached. 
1. go to Google images
2. type in one of the following words or phrases: 
-cough syrup 
-tissues 
-chamomile tea 
-completely drained of all energy. 

(I would be especially interested to see what images come up with that one.) Voila! that's about all I've seen for the past couple days so they should be just as accurate as if they were from my camera. gotta love modern technology. 

think. think. think. well. either my brain is still very fuzzy (more than likely) or....nope that's it. But I still have this 

l
a
r
g
e

s
p
a
c
e

t
o

f
i
l
l

u
p

So I think I will just address a question that I get presented with a LOT as a missionary. The question is this:

IF I HAVE A GOOD RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD, WHY DO I NEED AN ORGANIZED RELIGION? 

I love how many people think that this question will leave us stumped, flustered, and questioning every decision we've ever made in our lives. I will answer this question through a role-play. (that's something we do a lot as missionaries) 

SISTER THOMAS: (something about inviting someone to church this Sunday)

EVA (because we get this question from Eva--ryone.): But I have a strong relationship with God. If I have a good relationship with God, why do I need an organized religion? 

SISTER THOMAS: well, why do you think that God would want us to have an organized religion on the earth? 

EVA: I Don't know 

SISTER THOMAS: Well God Loves us, and He wants us to know that He exists and to know His plan for our happiness. This is why He wants His organized/authorized church on the earth. Otherwise, there would be no way to know what we need to know and do to live with Him again. There would be no way to follow His plan if we didn’t have a way to receive and follow the plan.  

EVA: but I can just pray and read the bible. I don't need a church telling me what to do. 

SISTER THOMAS: it's not the CHURCH telling you what to do, it's God speaking through servants He has chosen to guide us. 

EVA: but I have the bible. It already has the commandments and the commandments never change. Why do we need a living prophet? 

SISTER THOMAS: God loves us! Why would He stop communicating with us? We (His children) have constantly changing challenges, and He wants to help us through them and give us guidance us as much in our day as He has His children in the past.

Tune in next time when Eva asks: but if I'm a good person, why do I need religion? 
  
-Hermana Thomas 


No comments:

Post a Comment