Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Oh just a grotesquely swollen eye, what's new with you?

(Letter delayed due to Presidents' Day)

January 19, 2014

Eye don't really know what eye should wr-eye-te about today. This week was pretty SWELL. literally. I woke up a few days ago with my eye swollen shut and hurting like eye can't even discr-eye-be. So eye went to the doctor and he said that eye'd been bitten l-eye-ke f-eye-ve or six t-eye-mes wh-eye-le eye was sleeping. N-eye-ce. So basically eye have looked l-eye-ke a pro-wrestler, or just a very mutated human (take your pick) for the last two or three days. eye carumba. 

But, other then that, We have had amazing things happen to us lately. More specifically, one of the investigators attending a different ward moved into our boundaries, and we have begun to teach her the lessons. Between a new job, moving in, and four of the most rambunctious albeit adorable kids I have ever met, it has been hard to talk to her for very long, but we have really come to know and love her and her family. She has been investigating the church for almost two years and her only concern is about baptism. She has a desire to be baptized, but wants to know "why now?" Why make the changes in her life and accept baptism now, rather than at some later time? She knows that she will eventually do it, but what's the rush?  

To her, and every other mother who has had an unbearably messy child, you know why it is important NOW. "Why do I have to clean my room now" a child might ask? "I'll clean it later but I want to go out and play. I want to do what I want to do, and I'll get around to cleaning it later." A wise mother knows that "later" will turn into "sometime next week" which will turn into "when I get around to it" which will turn into "I don't see why I have to clean my room at all. I'm perfectly happy living like this, and it's my room anyway." The importance of NOW is so under emphasized. 

Take it from the QUEEN of justification. Honestly. If there were employment for someone who could justify her way out of doing ANYTHING, I would be candidate numbero uno (If I ever got around to applying). But I have realized that procrastination and justification never bring happiness, because at the end of the day, you lose the blessings that you would have had, had you done the thing that you --bottom line-- didn't do. You are still living in a pig sty, or you still have a mountain of homework waiting for you, or you still have a poor relationship with a family member that you meant to have changed years ago, or -saddest of all- you still don't have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost, and you still haven't taken the first step on your path to follow Christ. You still don't have the blessings. 

Sometimes I feel like Alma, the prophet when he wrote: 

“And now my bretheren, I wish from the inmost part of my heart, yea, with great anxiety even unto pain, that ye would hearken unto my words, and cast off your sins, and not procrastinate the day of your repentance…” 
Alma 13: 27 

This week I promise to do something that I have been putting off for a really really long time, and I challenge you to do the same. Here's a pre-view (...post-view?) of our Valentine’s Day service. eye love you! 




-Hermana Thomas 

No comments:

Post a Comment