Monday, May 5, 2014

Mothers' Day Musing

May 5, 2014

shmee shma.

That is how sister Zamora says "eh. It’s ok." As you probably didn't know but will in about 5 seconds based on how fast you read, I am about to complete a year in the mission.

I would like to accompany this statement with an anecdote.


Every year my parents line us up by the garage doorframe on Mothers’ Day and measure us against the wall. We see how much we have grown during the past year. (I would like to add that tip-toes do not count.....LIZ!). Well, as I will regrettably be absent for this year's measuring (sorry parents) I decided to measure myself in a different way, against the backdrop of my inward growth.

I often think about what kind of person I would be if I hadn’t gone on a mission. I believe I’d still be a good person. I'd probably have a good life. I'd be a year ahead of where I am right now in school. I might have a guy to grab some lunch with. I would be happy. BUT right now I can truly say that I am not filled with only happiness, but with a light I can feel that is not my own. I can feel its warmth and influence within me as I am coming to truly get to know my Savior. As a blessing from my mission, I have plans not only for the immediate future, but grand blueprints for the rest of my life. Through tears, frustration, and mistakes I have learned happiness, repentance, and joy. I am not who I want to be yet, but I am much closer, and even though it has been the hardest thing I have ever done, I wouldn't trade my mission for anything.

Happy Mothers’ Day to all of you lovely ladies out there! Treat yourself to a large ice cream sundae on me...well actually I'm on a bit of a tight budget and am currently out of town, so it will have to be on you. But know that I love you and wish you well!

Feliz dia de las madres!


-Hermana Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment